Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Donating...

 


Money?  Goods?  Time? 

I enjoy spending time with my photography projects and sharing them with the public, yet I have wanted to do a bit more with my ILP blog and time.  While cruising the net looking for ideas yesterday, I ran across the FreeRice website.  I'd forgotten how much fun it is to test your knowledge and "earn" rice to donate to needy families.

How the site works:  You can choose to create an account that will keep a tally of your progress or you can play on the site without signing in.  There are six categories in which to test your knowledge: Math, English, Geography, Chemistry, Language Learning and Humanities.  My favorite is English vocabulary under Language Learning.  Questions start out simple and progressively get harder the further you go.  For each correct answer you get, ten grains of rice are donated to the World Food Programme and they can add up fast.  Play as little or as much as you want.  

Normally I’m not one to jump on the cause bandwagon nor do I push others to do so but the experience seemed to fit the bill of that something “more” I was looking for.  So I came up with a small challenge for myself that I can do each day. 

My challenge:  To donate 15 minutes of my time each morning to see how much rice I can earn and send to hungry families.  For the rest of August, I'll be participating in the English vocabulary category. 

I would love to see other bloggers and readers take up similar challenges with me but I understand if that doesn’t happen.  After all, time is precious and this cause isn’t for everyone.  I do, however, challenge you to find ways to help others that fit with your availability and beliefs.  

Check back often to follow my daily progress in the right-side FreeRice widget.  And if you have unique ideas for other avenues of donating time, goods, or skills, please share them.  I'm always looking for new ways to help.



(banner from FreeRice.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment