Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Upgrade?

picture from Digital Photography Review
For a while now, I've wanted to upgrade to a better camera.  "Better" in this case simply means more than the 6 megapixels I currently have.  Don't get me wrong; my D40 takes great pictures.  It would be plenty of camera for me except for the fact I want to produce artistic prints of my black and white photos and the occasional photo manipulation.  For those, more pixels means producing prints closer to painting quality which, as an admitted perfectionist, I want to attain.

Initially, the 12.3mp D90 was my "tax return purchase" goal after reading many user reviews.  It has remained a logical hobbyist upgrade but for the continued high price (@$750 for body only).  The fact that D90 owners don't seem to get rid of them keeps the demand high and thus, a D90 remains out of my budget if I want to add lenses or other gadgets to my purchase.

The next camera I considered was the 12.9mp D5000.  The lady I photographed a wedding with owns one and swears by it.  I tried the camera out at the wedding and liked the way it felt in my hands, though it is a bit heavier than my D40.  Given the greater amount of pixels and quality results, it seemed to be the camera for me at a more affordable $400-$600 price tag. 

I wanted to be sure I was making the best choice in my situation.  Life has changed for my family in the past year and I'm facing the need to help bolster our finances.  I know this seems like an oxymoron but I have a one-time opportunity to purchase equipment that can help me help my family in the long run.

So, I continued my search.

On recommendation, I explored Ken Rockwell's review site and have since discovered Digital Photography Review. Between these two websites, I have found a wealth of practical and technical information to aid my decision making.

picture from Digital Photography Review
After perusing pages of reviews and comparisons, I have decided that my next camera will be a 14.2mp D3100.  Cost-wise, it runs @$600 for the kit that includes an 18-55mm lens (not the one shown here) which will allow me to purchase a couple of extras.  The body is smaller and lighter.  It should fit my tiny hands perfectly and not tire my carpel tunneled wrists.  The extra megapixels will allow me to further my artistic projects.  And the great thing about staying in the Nikon family is I can still use all of my current lenses and filters. 

Now that I've decided on the camera I want, I would like to add another lens to my arsenal.  Check back soon to see what lens I choose and why...


2 comments:

  1. Looks awesome! Do you often use a tripod? Curious as to if you do- what kind?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do use a tripod more often these days for my outside shots. Some days I just can't hold the camera still to save my life. I'm also learning to slow down, take the time and get a better shot.

    I actually have two tripods, a Sunpak 6200DX I bought at Best Buy a couple of years ago for $50 and the other is one step down, maybe a 5200, that I bought for $10 at a yard sale. The second one is the one I use outdoors as it shows a bit of wear but works beautifully. Both are light enough for me to work with but sturdy as well.

    ReplyDelete