Thursday, July 28, 2011

A Little Adventure

"Abandoned?"


Back before summer temperatures got out of hand, I spent two or three mornings each week traveling farm-country highways near home. On one hand, I love getting out and driving slow through the countryside with my window rolled down.  On the other, I like finding old or abandoned buildings to photograph.

One morning, while working my way down one of these roads, the old house in the above picture caught my eye.  I parked across the road from it and hopped out with my camera.  Behind the house were two or three chicken barns, so I walked back and forth on the highway to find the best perspective in order to not include them.  Since it was mid-morning, there was no traffic.  It was peaceful.  A couple of brown mutts crawled from under a fence, saw me, and trotted out to see what I was up to. I'm glad they were friendly.

I first took some practice shots with my 55-200mm lens.  Not happy with those, I swapped back to my 18-55mm lens and crossed the road. 

One thing I want to make clear at this point is, I never go on a property without permission.  Not only was I raised to respect other people's property but there are safety issues to consider as well.  You will understand why I brought this up shortly. 

I wish I could have gotten inside the fence to work my way around the entire house to find the best shot.  But I stayed either on the road or just outside the fence to get all of my photographs.  I did walk, squat, sit and lean every which way to get the pictures I took.  Had anyone looked out their windows at the time, they probably wondered what the heck I was doing. 

I spent about 15-20 minutes photographing the old house.  Satisfied I'd done all I could to capture the essence of the building, I hopped back in my truck, tucked my equipment safely away and headed off.  As I passed what evidently was the currently inhabited house of the farm, I heard a gunshot.  That's right--GUNSHOT!

I ducked and looked back toward the farmhouse.  Remember how the brothers in Second Hand Lions prepared for 'company'?  That's what I saw when I looked toward that farmhouse:  Two older men, sitting in rocking chairs on the front porch, one with a shotgun pointed my direction.  You better believe I floored my truck to get out of there fast!

The experience serves as a reminder to always check my surroundings when out photographing.  It isn't just snakes and dogs I have to look out for, it's also making triple sure I'm not putting myself in harm's way with people either, just for the sake of a cool picture.  I don't have to have every photograph but I do have a family to take care of.

And that's exactly what I was thinking when I blew past that old house in order to get back home...




No photographers or trucks were harmed in the pursuit of cool pictures on this trip.

3 comments:

  1. I have a Canon Power Shot. And thank you for the compliments =) I am still learning, but having a lot of fun in the process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're much more brave than I would be. Glad you escaped the rabid locals to photograph another day! :P

    Beautiful photo, by the way. I'll have to post some of my photos of the old dilapidated house next door. Speaking of...you should come out here and photograph it. While our neighbors do have rifles, they'd be perfectly accomodating. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank Lois! I'm glad they didn't get me or the truck. :) Would love to see pics of the house next door and accommodating neighbors are wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete